Re: Proposal for clarification of DFSG.1

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:47:28PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:17:06PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > In short, we accept "you may not sell this program alone" clauses, but
> > only if they have loopholes big enough to make them completely
> > ineffective in practice.
>
> By the way, I think this phrasing in the DFSG is no accident.  It's
> designed to let the Artistic License pass.  The AL says "You may not
> charge a fee for this Package itself" and then goes on to give
> permission for including it in a larger distribution.

That's not needed anymore thanks to the Clarified Artistic License.

I think we should amend DFSG 1 so that it reads as Roland's (A) (or the
semantic equivalent).

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    People are equally horrified at
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    hearing the Christian religion