Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:42:12PM +0200,
 Jacobo Tarrio <jtarrio@trasno.net> wrote
 a message of 17 lines which said:

>  Everything Debian distributes is software. After all, if it weren't, we
> wouldn't be able to store it in a FTP server, transmit it via the Internet
> or burn it in CDs.

This was very often written in that thread but it is wrong. To be
stored on a FTP server or burned on a CD, you just need to be
digital. You do not need to be software. The Bible does not become
software once you type it in vi or Emacs.

[This confusion between "software" and "digital" seems very prevalent
in Debian. I share Mathieu's regrets about it.]