Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Fedor Zuev wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>See http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_3.htm#mdiv17
>>- in the UK, installation from CD requires permission from the copyright
>>holder. There are no fair use provisions, either.
>
>IMHO, this is slightly outdated revision of Act.

No, that's copyright law as it currently exists in the UK.

>But you, as well, can use analogy with previous point.
>You anyway can't read information directly from CD, without copying
>it somewhere. So, to read GFDL you should have either statutory
>right, or someone's explicit permission to copy.

Right. And the GFDL explicitly grants me permission to copy, as long as
I don't do so in such a way that technical methods are used to prevent
access to my copy. Which would include copying it to an encrypted
filesystem. Quack quack oops.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org