Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Fedor Zuev wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, David B Harris wrote:

If I'm on a shared, multi-user system, I must leave any directories a
GFDL document is in as world-readable; to restrict permissions would be
to use a technical measure to restrict the further reading of the
document.

	Heh. And, according to the same logic, you should not lock
the door of your home, because someone may want to copy document
from your desktop. Get real!

Exactly. According to the logic of the GFDL you should not lock the door of your home. See why the GFDL is a bad license?

	GFDL says about _further_ distribution of already received
work, not about initial copying you may allow or not allow to
someone. But, ever regardless of particular terms of license it is
clear from the law, that you can have any obligations only to the
_legitimate_ recipient of a copy of work. If someone get a copy by
the means, which is illegal itself, without your will, consent and
ever awareness, this can't create for you any obligations to him.

From the infamous document, section 2:
You may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the reading or further copying of the copies you /make/ or distribute. (emphisis mine)

By downloading a copy of a GFDL document you are making a copy of it -- no redistribution required

-- Keith Dunwoody