Re: MySQL licensing and OpenSSL linking issues

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 01:08:21PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > It seems at that point that it would be easier to just put it under
> > > the LGPL.

> > Except that the LGPL permits use of the code in ways that MySQL does not
> > want to allow.

> Well, what do they want to allow, and what don't they want to allow?

> Perhaps we can help them formalize the wording, if we understand their
> desires.

As I understand it, they're looking for the copyleft protection of the
GPL to avoid exploitation of the library in proprietary applications,
but at the same time want to permit linkage from GPL-incompatible Free
Software (I'll bet PHP is a big factor here).  Beyond that, I imagine
their desire is fairly vague, and passing the buck to the OSI would
relieve them of the burden of formal wording. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer