Re: MySQL licensing and OpenSSL linking issues

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 02:51:31PM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

> > Would it be reasonable to ask them to "snapshot" the OSI license list
> > with every release?  This would ensure that the permission to link isn't
> > retroactively revoked by a third party, while saving MySQL AB the work
> > of coming up with their own definition of what they consider acceptable.
> > As long as this is a list of *additional* linking permissions, and the
> > contributors are ok with this sort of license, I don't see any reason
> > why this couldn't work.

> The contributors would each need to assent to each change of the list, or
> assign copyright to MySQL, or assent to the schema of changes (and I'd
> assume that last to be shaky).

> That's a lot of paperwork for each release.

Why?  If MySQL themselves can offer a license that references an
external list (the OSI list), why can't the MySQL contributors do the
same with regards to a list vetted by MySQL?  I don't think Branden was
objecting to the legal validity of this technique, only to the
impracticality of depending on such a list that could change over time
and result in de facto changes to the license of code already in use.

> > Other than that issue, I think this would nicely address Debian's needs.
> > I'm pleased to see MySQL AB taking this step to clarify the license of
> > the client libraries.

> It seems at that point that it would be easier to just put it under
> the LGPL.

Except that the LGPL permits use of the code in ways that MySQL does not
want to allow.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer