Re: Open Software License

Scripsit Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net>
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Joey Hess wrote:

> > You. As an express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You
> > agree that any External Deployment by You shall be deemed a
> > distribution and shall be licensed to all under the terms of this
> > License, as prescribed in section 1(c) herein.

> Whee!  I haven't changed my mind since the Affero discussion.  I
> personally think it's a non-free use restriction to declare that "deliver
> content to anyone other than You" is equivalent to distribution of the
> software.

I fear there is trouble brewing here too, but as you say, it is
phrased very oddly. In particular 1(c) only demands that distributed
copies are *licensed* under the same license; it doesn't actively
demand that, say, source is distributed with them, unless one goes the
roundabout way of magically transforming "You" into "Licensor".

Stange, and probably not one we should let into Debian without
clarification.

--
Henning Makholm                              "En tapper tinsoldat. En dame i
                                         spagat. Du er en lykkelig mand ..."