Re: Open Software License

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Joey Hess wrote:

> 			The Open Software License
> 				v. 1.0

> 3) Grant of Source Code License. The term "Source Code" means the
> preferred form of the Original Work for making modifications to it and
> all available documentation describing how to access and modify the
> Original Work. Licensor hereby agrees to provide a machine-readable
> copy of the Source Code of the Original Work along with each copy of
> the Original Work that Licensor distributes.

This is phrased very oddly.  I think the intent is for this to apply to
derived works, where "you" becomes "licensor" and the downstream recipient
becomes "you".  I don't think it's non-free, just hard to follow.

> 5) External Deployment. The term "External Deployment" means the use
> or distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works in any way
> such that the Original Work or Derivative Works may be accessed or
> used by anyone other than You, whether the Original Work or Derivative
> Works are distributed to those persons, made available as an
> application intended for use over a computer network, or used to
> provide services or otherwise deliver content to anyone other than
> You. As an express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You
> agree that any External Deployment by You shall be deemed a
> distribution and shall be licensed to all under the terms of this
> License, as prescribed in section 1(c) herein.

Whee!  I haven't changed my mind since the Affero discussion.  I
personally think it's a non-free use restriction to declare that "deliver
content to anyone other than You" is equivalent to distribution of the
software.