Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Scripsit tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
> > Scripsit tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)

> > > This is horrid.  I believe quite firmly that my work has an intrinsic
> > > artistic character.

> > Sure. But do you believe that the intrinsic artistic character it has
> > is one that could be violated by a third-party modification?

> In so far as *any* work has artistic character that can be so
> violated, yes.

Does that mean that you don't release your programs under a free
license, or that you never thought about the license you use, or that
you consider your choice of license to be severable from the artistic
statement you make with your code?

> In other words, whatever kinds of violations there are for other works
> apply just so to the artistic value of software.

But not, in my opinion to free software, where the freedom is an
integrated part of the artistic statement being made. On the contrary,
the artistic statement would often be lost if the author went on to
consider his program improperly violated by third-party modification.
In that case it would be the author, not the third party, who were not
true to his original artistic purpose.

> Someone turning a nicely written program into a pile of spaghetti
> code, for example, would be just such a degradation.

And yet, part of the artistic vision of the original work is that such
a modification is permitted.

--
Henning Makholm                                   "Hør, hvad er det egentlig
                                          der ikke kan blive ved med at gå?"