Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software? (Was: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> But it is not a real problem. Under the "droit d'auteur", the author's
> right over *software* is quite limited

Is this the basic point by which "moral rights" do not prevent software
from being free?  They're not generally applied to software?

So, for the right to prevent "mutilation" of a work, which an author has
over her book, but not over her software:  What if the software is
published as a book?  What if the book is published as software (either as
an e-book or by using characters and storyline in a computer game)?  What
about book-like content (help files, tutorials, etc) in software?

[back to the topic of the GFDL and free documentation]

Over and above the problems in distinguishing types of work, why
would I call a license which attempts to impose this system on me if I
don't live in such a place "free"?

If recognition of moral rights is a requirement for a free documentation
license, I propose the GPL be used with the notation that "none of these
terms is intended to infringe those rights over which an author cannot
grant permissions".

Is this sufficient to cover droit d'auteur jurisdictions without
limiting the right to modify in common-law areas?