[OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software? (Was: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

[This is starting to shift away from the GFDL so I modified the
subject. Georg, I can suppress you from the Cc: if you wish so.]

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 11:25:43PM -0400,
 Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> >Naturally, I'm more familiar with the European Copyright -- or Droit
> >d'Auteur, rather -- systems, but since Europe is a very active region
> >for Free Software, considering the European situation seems useful.
>
> Please note that this system is contrary in its basis to the system in the
> US, which is also used in some form in most common-law based countries (most
> of the world). Under these systems copyright is a government-granted monopoly
> and not a 'natural right'.  The 'Droit d'Auteur' system is *much* more
> hostile to free software, free documentation, free speech, fair use rights,
> library privilege, the public domain, etc., etc., etc.

Can you explain the above? I do not see why and in which way the
"Droit d'auteur" system is more hostile to free software. There is
currently a lot of lobbying in Europe and in the world against this
"Droit d'auteur" system and pro-copyright and this lobbying is mostly
driven by the same companies that oppose free software...