Re: Legal questions about some GNU Emacs files

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:

> Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov>:
>
>> WHY-FREE is not documentation! it is a manifesto in which rms expounds
>> on his views on free software.
>
> It doesn't really matter whether it's documentation or not. The
> question is, is it free?

people, dfsg, fsf, free, non-free all deal with _software_. i think
that the people who try to expand the free-software concept to
documentation are misguided (although i can see a scenario where by
changing the software you also need to change the documentation). in
no way, shape, or form do i think anybody should have the right to
edit somebody else's political statement.

the WHY-FREE manifesto is the cornerstone of the whole free software
movement (including debian) and as such it should be immutable (and,
of course, included in debian).

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |