Re: monit: GPL and OpenSSL..

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 03:23:44PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> > been mailing with the developers of monit. They asked if was okay for "Debian"
> > to add add this to the license:
> > """
> > This program is  released under the GPL with the additional exemption that
> > compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed.
> > """
> >
> > Would this be sufficient for Debian?
>
> Well, it depends on what you mean by "Debian". Debian cannot add
> anything to the license; only the copyright holders can do so. If you
> meant that this was a license only for Debian, that program would go in
> non-free. DFSG 8 prohibits Debian-specific licenses. *But that aside*,
> that license is free.

I think you're overparsing his words.  If the language he specifically
marked out is added to the license, *everyone* is allowed to link the
work with OpenSSL.  I think his question is just shorthand for "will you
guys sprinkle the holy water over this?".  We can't expect everyone to
know how our license-vetting system works.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The only way to get rid of a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       temptation is to yield to it.