Re: monit: GPL and OpenSSL..

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:46:18PM +0200, Fredrik Steen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the packages I maintain is monit[0], they now have a long awaited
> feature using SSL. I have read that GPL and OpenSSL is not compatible and have

You are correct. OpenSSL has an advertising clause which is incompatible
with the GPL. There is an exception for "anything that is normally
distributed...with the major components...of the operating system on
which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
executable." It is the opinion of debian-legal that OpenSSL does not
fall under this exception.

> been mailing with the developers of monit. They asked if was okay for "Debian"
> to add add this to the license:
> """
> This program is  released under the GPL with the additional exemption that
> compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed.
> """
>
> Would this be sufficient for Debian?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "Debian". Debian cannot add
anything to the license; only the copyright holders can do so. If you
meant that this was a license only for Debian, that program would go in
non-free. DFSG 8 prohibits Debian-specific licenses. *But that aside*,
that license is free.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare