Re: Revised LaTeX Project Public License (LPPL)

Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes:
 > >  > > i don't think the wording is good, but that aside, would that lift your
 > >  > > concern?
 > >  >
 > >  > I'd prefer just saying that the documentation must make clear what the
 > >  > provenance is.
 >
 > The problem is still one of context.
 >
 > If there is some other program which reads what is "output to the
 > screen" and its behavior changes, then it must be possible and legal
 > to fake that output to the screen to fake out that other program.

how is that supposed to work with GPL 2c? i presume your argument is that the
case you describe is one of non-interactive use.

but the 5a2 only describes the case of interactive use with one specified base
format not its behaviour with any odd program. so it only covers what should
happen if used with, e.g., the LaTeX-format.

it does not specify what should happen if you feed the package into a perl
interpreter to count backslashes or what have you

so the context is not arbitrary but specifed by the license and the clause is
restricted to that context.

frank