Re: PHPNuke license

David Turner <novalis@novalis.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 00:19, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> > Please read it again -- if that's so, why does (2)(b) specifically
>> > mention distribution?
>> > (2)(a) and (2)(c) *do* apply even in the absence of distribution.
>>
>> Well, they try to anyway. If there's no copying taking place, I fail to
>> see how it can apply, whether it tries to or not.
>
> Because the preparation of derivative works is one of the exclusive
> rights of copyright holders.  Please read 17 USC 106 (2) again.

Yes... but I can write in the margins of a book as much as I like, or
tape over bits of a video recording.  Given a legal unmodified copy on
disk, can't I modify it as I wish under the first-sale doctrine?  I
own the drive it's on, after all, and copyright does not in any way
infringe my right to dispose of my physical property.

-Brian
Still not a lawyer.

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu