Re: PHPNuke license

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 16:30, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> A string of piped commands might output five such notices; a foreach
> loop might output hundreds. [1]
> [1] Continuing the idea that using these programs in a complicated
> but user-typed shell string is still "interactive"; it's probably exactly
> this problem that the "interactive" qualification was intended to prevent.
> However, recalling the context, Branden's argument was, I believe, that if a
> web session is interactive with respect to the tools generating them, then
> manual shell scripting is, too.

[more on this, sorry, I should marshall my thoughts before spewing them]

A program in the middle of a pipeline never directly accepts input from
the user, nor does it output direcly to the user.

How does this sound for an interpretation of interactive in shell
scripts: "A program is running interactively if stdin and stdout are
ttys."  This should prevent most of the spam effect, right?

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson