Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 14:23, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:50:13PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > of these two cases would be (2)(c) cases.  Recall that (2)(c) says,
> > "...when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary
> > way, to print or display an announcement ..."  Apache is started in the
> > most ordinary way via the apachectl or /etc/init.d/apache scripts.  A
>
> PHPNuke is started in exactly the same way on most systems.  In fact, that
> very command starts it.  I'm confused about the distinction.

OK, then I see no problem with PHPNuke doing the same thing.

> > Interestingly, I don't think (2)(c) would forbid a modified PHPNuke to
> > print the copyright notice to a printer (or console) in the server room,
> > instead of on the web page the user sees.  The more I look at the
> > clause, the more convinced I am that its sole purpose is to torture me.
>
> Heh, I think more than just you are being tortured :-)
>
> This would be a quite workable solution, and one that I find a lot more
> difficult to argue with.  One can still debate the interactivity, but the
> key is that the act of distribution is now moved elsewhere to the
> conventional ways, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Distribution does not, and has never, mattered (see previous message in
this thread).

> > I have a hard time figuring out what that purpose is, at this point.
>
> Could you ask one of the people that drafted that (Stallman?) on our behalf?

I would rather propose to him improved wording for GPLv3.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson