Re: "Software" and its translations (was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:51:14PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> > - "un logiciel" can even be used to mean "a software program", whereas
> >   the phrase "a software" sounds awkward to me in English (but then
> >   again, I'm not a native English speaker, and maybe "software" is a
> >   countable noun -- can you say "two softwares"?).
>
> No.  "Software" is a collective noun, like "information" or "stuff".

No, "software" is a mass noun, like "information" or "stuff".

A collective noun is a word like "committee", which is singular in
form but refers to a plurality of individuals.  In some dialects
(notably in England) collective nouns get plural verbs.

Thomas