"Software" and its translations (was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal)

MJ Ray, 2003-09-22 10:30:19 +0200 :

> On 2003-09-22 06:58:19 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Since Debian use the translation "Logiciel" for Debian French pages,
>> it means that the word software must be clearly defined by Debian.
>
> If "logiciel" truly does not mean the same as the English word
> "software," then it should probably be reported as a bug against
> Debian's French translation when used in its place.

It does mean the same as "software", or at least the same as the
Debian definition of software:

- it can be opposed to "matériel" (hardware -- compare "matière",
  matter);

- it can be used as an adjective, for instance "sous forme
  logicielle", meaning "in a software form", thus matching the "every
  collection of bits on a computer" definition;

- "un logiciel" can even be used to mean "a software program", whereas
  the phrase "a software" sounds awkward to me in English (but then
  again, I'm not a native English speaker, and maybe "software" is a
  countable noun -- can you say "two softwares"?).

> (I think that "programaro" (group around programs AIUI, translated
> by some as collection of programs) or "softvaro" (imported word)
> should be used instead of "programo" (lit. program) for its EO
> translation.)

  I have no real clue about EO yet, but that sounds reasonable.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

When I eat a biscuit, it stays eaten!
  -- Arthur Dent, in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Douglas Adams)