Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
> MR>I have now been given a link to the German copyright law at
> MR>http://bundesrecht.juris.de/bundesrecht/urhg/index.html but I am very
> MR>slow at reading German, if anyone else wants to beat me to reading it.
> 	http://www.copyrighter.ru/lite/germanapisp.htm

Thanks for the info.  Section 8 for people reading either copy.

Assuming that to be an accurate translation, it seems that computer
programs are explicitly called "works of language" and have some extra
provisions made for them.  The most significant seem to be:-
 * Works created for a job contract make the recipient rights holder;
 * Some use can be restricted by copyright licence, but isn't by default;
 * Backups are explicitly permitted;
 * Some provisions for reverse engineering;
more or less... read it yourself to be sure I've not misinterpreted.

Although there are more provisions, it appears basically similar to UK
law in method and doesn't look like it "replaces nearly all regulations
that apply to other literary works" as claimed.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at