Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:33:05 -0500, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:17:09PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:10:37AM +0200, Sergey V. Spiridonov
>> wrote:
>> > If one does not see the difference between program and
>> > documentation, it is very hard to explain why they do not need
>> > the same kind of freedoms.
>>
>> If one cannot coherently and usefully *describe* the difference
>> between programs and documentation, it is difficult for other
>> people to see it.

> Documentation consists of instructions primarily intended to be
> human-readable regarding the operation of something such as a
> program.

> Programs consist of instructions primarily intended to be
> machine-readable that either contain machine language binary data or
> instructions designed to be interpreted or converted into that at
> runtime.  Programs will always contain source code or machine
> language code, and often both.

> I will grant that these definitions are imperfect and improbable
> arguments could be lodged against them; at the same time, I believe
> that reasonable people not engaging in a Jesuit exercise to find
> logical needles in a haystack of common sense are able to tell the
> difference between a manpage and a C source file.

	Sure, there are clear cut examples of files that quite clearly
 belong to one case or the other. I am distressed to see that you
 consider a real life corner case that I posted in a message with id

	The problem is not that there are examples of files that are
 clearly documentation and clearly program code; the problem comes
 with cases, like literate programing, amongst others, where such a
 clear cut distinction no longer exists. In my experience, such a
 blurring of the distinctions between data, source code, and
 documentation is on the increase, rather then declining; and I think
 we should model the core of our response not merely on our past
 experience, but on a reasonable projection of where the future is
 going to take us. (I personally believe that the distinction between
 data, source, and documentation is artificial, and merely a matter of
 convention, and the boundaries shall blur even more in the future).

	manoj
--
There are only two kinds of men -- the dead and the deadly. Helen
Rowland