Re: a minimal copyleft

<Somewhat late in this...>

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 14:03, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Tuesday, Aug 5, 2003, at 18:39 US/Eastern, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
>
> > If I hack the hell out of some yacc/lex output and put that in my
> > program, the yacc/lex files aren't the source anymore, the C code is.
> > Same deal with hacking a binary directly.
>
> I agree with you. I'm just saying there is a difference between
> "hack[ing] the hell out of" something and a trivial change.
>
> If I changed the yacc output by doing a simple find/replace on a
> variable name, and tried to call that output "source", I hope you'd
> call that crazy.

I would indeed. I don't think that establishes a preferred form of
modification at all, especially since it's not you, but the text editor,
doing the modifying. But even in the case you did it manually, I don't
think that's enough to establish preference.

The DFSG, and even the GPL, are in the end interpreted by people. For
the majority of cases (actually, any reasonable one that I can think
of), it's easy to see whether someone is trying to weasel around the
definition of "preferred" or not.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>