Re: a minimal copyleft

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:19:29AM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 03:03, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > You seem to think it's so that somebody can take my docbook/sgml
> > document and convert it into a Word document, and distribute that
> > alone.
>
> If we accept this, it has to work the other way, too - If I release
> something in MS Word format, and someone converts it to nicely marked up
> DocBook, they have to keep distributing the MS Word document, too.

Sounds reasonable.

> Or if I write something in assembler and someone else changes it to C,
> they have to keep distributing the assembler.

Likewise.

> Or if I have some old EBCDIC documentation that's been GPLd, and I want
> to distribute it as ASCII, I need to keep distributing the EBCDIC - pure
> garbage on basically any modern system - with my ASCII version.

This one probably doesn't count, any more than putting something in a
tarball - it's a transport encoding change, with no appreciable effect
on the content (unlike C/assembly, or docbook/word, which will
inevitably change the content in translation).

> IMO the GPL is purposefully vague on this point; if someone (not just
> the copyright holder) can show reasonably that they preferred a certain
> form for modification, then they've met the terms of the GPL.

This means that I can take your GPLed application, modify the binary
directly (I prefer this form because it is required by my business
model), and redistribute that - without the source to my changes,
since I don't prefer that form.

I reject all interpretations which lead to this result as
fundamentally flawed.

> (Remember, it's not preferred terms for *modification*, not
> *distribution*, so few people could make a convincing case "Well, I
> really did want it in ELF format".)
>
> >  *That* would defeat the purpose of the GPL.
>
> The purpose of the GPL isn't to stop people from distributing MS Word
> documents, it's to make sure people have the ability to distribute,
> modify, and distribute modified versions of software (by which I mean
> any stream of bits) in a form that is convenient to modify. Amazingly,
> there are a lot of people that find MS Word documents, or assembler
> source, convenient to modify. Likewise, many people find SGML
> inconvenient.

See above.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |