Re: A possible approach in 'solving' the FDL problem

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 03:17:52PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 07:25:50AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > In the broader definition of software. Not everyone sees that definition
> > as correct, including many people who accepted the DFSG with a
> > definition of software that only includes 'computer programs', not this
> > broad definition, in mind.
>
> Not everyone agrees that the world is round, either, and one can marshal
> as many logical arguments demonstrating that it is as one wants.

This comparison is flawed. A correct one would be 'not everyone agrees
that the word "world" means "the planet earth"'. After all, there are
other planets too...

> Unless you're willing to make a *logical* case that is consistent with
> the maxim "Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software", or are willing to
> launch an effort to change that maxim, you're wasting everyone's time.

I've always interpreted that clause as 'Debian will never contain any
non-free software.' This has never been a problem before, but I now do
see your point.

Still, that doesn't change my opinion; I've always interpreted the word
'software' as 'computer programs', and I cannot imagine to be the only
Debian developer with that opinion. Since this document defines the way
we look at the world, as a group, it's very important we clear that out.

> Which part of Social Contract clause 1 do you want to get rid of?
>
> 1) "100%"
> 2) "Free"
> or
> 3) "Software"
>
> Perhaps all of the above.  Perhaps Debian's mission should be much more
> loosely defined, so that we can distribute whatever nifty warez strike
> our fancy at the time.  Licenses are *so boring*, man.

I'm going to ignore this part, and attribute it to the reason you earned
your reputation.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a