Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:01:06PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> In fact, if the debian-legal group were to decide all by itself that
> software and documentation are essentially the same thing, I'm afraid a
> fork would be much more likely.

You're being obtuse, and possibly deliberately hostile.

The debian-legal regulars are interpreting the Social Contract and DFSG
as best they can.  The Debian Project *has* no definition of
"documentation", let alone "free documentation", so we're making do by
applying the DFSG to everything that people want to put in the Debian
Distribution, which is required to remain "100% Free Software".

If you disagree with the decisions the debian-legal team is compelled to
make based upon the status quo determined by the Social Contract and
DFSG, change the Social Contract and DFSG.  Ridiculing and belittling
the people who contribute to this mailing list by accusing them of
constructing their own feifdom is an inferior approach.

(If you have trouble with feifdoms in this Project, I'd suggest that
there are some which operate with far less transparency than the
debian-legal mailing list.)

Read the Debian Constitution.  You have all the power you need to
propose a General Resolution and thus stop the debian-legal regulars
from continuing their foul and disgusting efforts at a consistent
and faithful interpretation of the Social Contract.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Never attribute to malice that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     which can be adequately explained