Re: A possible approach in 'solving' the FDL problem

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

>> > That's exactly the point I'm trying to get through. I feel that a lot
>> > of developers think it is not. As such, I'm suggesting we ask our
>> > developers, and work from there on.
>>
>> IANADD, but while there is clearly documentation which is not software,
>> all documentation distributed by Debian -- possibly excepting CD cases --
>> is software.
>
> In the broader definition of software. Not everyone sees that definition
> as correct, including many people who accepted the DFSG with a
> definition of software that only includes 'computer programs', not this
> broad definition, in mind.

OK.  See, I thought you were arguing for keeping documentation in main
under looser criteria than executable programs.  If you're arguing
that some of what Debian is distributing *isn't software at
all*... gosh, what is it?  I'd thought Debian distributed Free
Software.  But now you're telling me it distributes Software,
Documentation... anything else in there?

And incidentally, what does all of this do the LaTeX issue -- TeX is
written using Literate Programming, remember, so the code and
documentation are tightly interwoven.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu