Re: Summary (was: Distributing GPL Software as binary ISO)

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:26:57AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Could people please comment on
>
> > http://master.debian.org/~joey/legal.en.html

Could you reread and check?

> > I plan to add this to http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ and would
> > like the advice to be correct.
>
> Mentioning option 3 at all seems misleading, IMHO.  No one burning CDs
> from our archive receives such an offer, so it should be made clear that
> even non-profits cannot exercise this option.

Err...  They have received the binary code *and* the source, but
decided to ignore the source.  Debian distributes both source and
binary on their archive, for both individual packages and cd images.

> Providing CDs "on demand" only satisfies the GPL if the distributor
> included a written offer.  If there's no written offer, the source has

Fixed.

> to be provided up front.  The explanatory text doesn't emphasize this
> enough, IMHO -- as we all know, there are people who won't read (or
> understand, perhaps) the license text, even when excerpted for them. ;)

Is it phrased better now?  If not, could you send a patch for the
text?

Regards,

	Joey

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
	-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum