Summary (was: Distributing GPL Software as binary ISO)

I'm trying a summary here.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Distributing GPL'ed software in object code or executable form, either
as CD image through the Internet or as pressed or burned CD, requires
the distributor (commercial or non-commercial doesn't seem to matter)
to advise the person, who receives the binary form, how to obtain the
source code of the software.  Pointing them only to an FTP server from
a third party is not sufficient.

When such a CD (or image) is distributed the distributor is required
to inform the user how to obtain the source code and is advised to
distribute a source CD (containing the exact source to all packages on
the binary CD) through the same channels or burn a CD and store it in
a shelf, so a user request for source code can be fulfilled with a
manually burned copy.

If such a CD is distributed through mail order on a physical medium,
the source code has to be made available through mail order on a
physical medium as well, since the distributor must not assume the
user has sufficient bandwidth/internet access to download a large
amount of data.

Useful for reading:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCDistributeWithSourceOnInternet

Regards,

	Joey

--
MIME - broken solution for a broken design.  -- Ralf Baechle