Re: Summary (was: Distributing GPL Software as binary ISO)

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:26:57AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Could people please comment on

> http://master.debian.org/~joey/legal.en.html

> I plan to add this to http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ and would
> like the advice to be correct.

Mentioning option 3 at all seems misleading, IMHO.  No one burning CDs
from our archive receives such an offer, so it should be made clear that
even non-profits cannot exercise this option.

> Any entity that distributes binary-only Debian CDs or images has to
> provide CDs or images with the matching source code on demand. If no
> source CDs are provided regularily the easiest way to fulfil this
> requirement is to burn a CD and store it in a shelf. When somebody
> requests the source code, this can be fulfilled with a manually burned
> copy.

Providing CDs "on demand" only satisfies the GPL if the distributor
included a written offer.  If there's no written offer, the source has
to be provided up front.  The explanatory text doesn't emphasize this
enough, IMHO -- as we all know, there are people who won't read (or
understand, perhaps) the license text, even when excerpted for them. ;)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer