Re: title for translation of GNU FDL document

Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> [Please Cc: to me because I am not subscribed to the list.]
>
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:32:13 -0800 (PST),
> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> [Japanese translation of Securing Debian HOWTO, which is under GNU FDL]
> > > 1. What is the definition of "a distinct title"?
> > >    Is a word-to-word translation considered as
> > >    an enough change?
> >
> > I think a word-for-word translation is not enough of a change.  The
> > intent is certainly for a reader to be able to differentiate between
> > your version and the official version.  You can use a title like
> > "Securing Debian HOWTO--Unofficial Japanese Translation by Oohara".
> I want to use "Securing Debian HOWTO (Japanese Translation)" instead.
> My translation is already in the DDP CVS, so I don't think it is
> unofficial.  (Currently its title is like "Securing Debian HOWTO
> (translated on 2002/1/15)".)

This makes it sound like you have the permission of the original
authors.  In that case, you can use whatever title you want.  If,
despite appearances, you don't actually have the permission of the
original authors, then I think a title like what you want (or what you
have currently) is a bit too similar.  It implies that the original
authors are happy with your translation.  Something more like my
original suggestion would be better.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu