Re: Cc'ing people on mailing list posts

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:54:30PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Well, what I'd prefer is that people all followed of the following:
>
> Yes, because clearly you're in the right, and it's the people who don't
> want to be Cc'ed that're making the special request.
>
> Unfortunately, that's _not_ the case. The Debian list policy has
> _always_ been that you don't Cc people to mailing list posts. The
> developers-reference, you know, the second thing listed on
> http://nm.debian.org/newnm.php as part of the "Have you read the
> relevant documentation", isn't particularly subtle or confusing:

Yes, of course!  I know this, but what I wonder is why the people who
wanted this added to the document have still not lifted a finger to
implement it?

> How about when you find out you're not following mailing list policy,
> you either configure your mailer so it behaves correctly, get a new one,
> or work around it? Everyone else who's used GNUS on Debian mailing lists
> before Mail-Followup-To was invented seems to have been able to cope
> with this.

Is there some simple configuration I should use?  I'm happy to add the
relevant text to my .emacs.

> Take some responsibility. It's your mailer. It's you that's violating
> list policy. It's your problem. It's you that has to fix it.

Um, it wasn't me that Branden was flaming at.

And, incidentally, list policy certainly requires tolerance and
understanding.  People make mistakes.  Nobody needs to get flamed to
get the right thing to happen.