Re: {debian-legal} Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:49:16PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> You're, uh, just eliding what I consider the substantive and interesting
> points in this discussion. That's not really very helpful. Do you agree
> with them, and are you convinced by the arguments?

When I elide things, it's usually because I've thought them to be
peripheral.  Of course, that's only one man's judgment, and I don't
intend any kind of slight or attempt to subvert fair conversation.  If
something that I skipped deserves notice from me, just bring it back
like you did.

> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > > The question isn't installing two packages (people already do that for
> > > apache and apache-doc, eg), it's about working out that emacs' docs are
> > > in a package called "emacs21-doc" versus "debian-political".
> > So, what's the problem?  Or is the question about whether the docs are
> > in "main" or not?
>
> I know it's easy to forget, but ``Our Priorities are **Our Users**
> and Free Software''. Putting docs for random packages in a package with
> a completely bizarre name, and collating a bunch of docs from random packages
> into a single package when there's no natural correlation amongst those
> packages is a disservice to our users.

I don't care much whether the package is named emacs21-doc or
debian-political.  I can see reasonable justification for separating
it from emacs into a separate package.  I can see justification for
making a rule that one shouldn't have a dependency on a package with
invariant manual sections.  I just think it should be in main.

If the choice is between "remove it from Debian" and "put it in a
separate emacs21-doc package" and "put it in a separate
debian-political" packages, then it makes no sense to vote for "remove
it from Debian" on the grounds that debian-political is a confusing
name for users.  If the primary motivation in this discussion is
what's easiest and most convenient for the users, then obviously "keep
it in emacs20 and keep that package in Debian" is easiest and most
convenient.