Re: How about a new section "[partially free]"?

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:26:24AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Perhaps.  The GPL rule is that the modified file must contain the
> > modifier's name and the date *of the modification*--diff doesn't know
> > that, because it can only look at file timestamps.
>
> Well, diff uses the mtime, doesn't it?

Yes, but strictly speaking the mtime on a file is not a reliable
indication of when a modification was actually made.

> Strictly speaking, when a Debian source package consists of a pristine
> source tarball and a .diff.gz, the original files are *not* modified,
> except at package build time, which means the date of modification is
> whatever the clock on the wall says when you build the package.
>
> I acknowledge that this may not be the spirit, or intent, of the
> requirement.

Right, the act of modification (legally) is something that only the
modifier can know; it can't be deduced from timestamps or when a
particular technical act is done.

To follow the rule (strictly speaking): when you make the change to
the file, sign and date it then.