Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:26:16PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> "Some documentation or other matter in Debian packages is sometimes
> distributed under licenses that do not permit modification or the
> distribution of modified versions.  When these portions are small
> relative to the size of the package, no harm accrues from distributing
> them as part of Debian.  However, when it comes to actual programs of
> whatever sort, we continue to insist that modification always be
> permitted.  And, since changes to a program necessitate changes to its
> associated documentation, any portion of documentation which might
> need to be changed to correctly describe a change in the program must
> also permit modification and distribution of modified versions."

There is no justification in the DFSG or the Social Contract from having
separate standards for "software" and "documentation".  That was a flaw
in my original proposal that I have corrected in the revised version.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          Or you don't live long.