Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

"Sunnanvind" <sunnanvind@fenderson.com> writes:

> aj, tb, it's clear you don't like the proposal, so please come up with
> suggestions of your own.

You are saying that because you and Branden want a policy, we *must*
have one, and if aj and I are now obliged to write one if we don't
like yours?  In fact, aj and I both think that we don't need to write
any policy, and that things are working just fine already.

Still, I posted the sort of policy I would agree to a while ago.  Here
it is again.  Branden didn't like it because it calls for judgment,
and apparently he thinks that most Debian developers don't have much
judgment.

"Some documentation or other matter in Debian packages is sometimes
distributed under licenses that do not permit modification or the
distribution of modified versions.  When these portions are small
relative to the size of the package, no harm accrues from distributing
them as part of Debian.  However, when it comes to actual programs of
whatever sort, we continue to insist that modification always be
permitted.  And, since changes to a program necessitate changes to its
associated documentation, any portion of documentation which might
need to be changed to correctly describe a change in the program must
also permit modification and distribution of modified versions."

Thomas