Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003, Gabucino wrote:
 Then let's make it clear.
>  - is xine's win32dll loader modified to deny loading WMV9 dlls
> or
>  - just DLLs aren't distributed

Since MS doesn't appear to be suing anyone nowdays[1] for patent
violations while causing DLLs to be loaded, we've never had a problem
with programs that load them. (wine, FE, does this.)

However, since they're generally not free software, nor (for the most
part) are the even legal to (re-)distribute, we don't distribute them
in Debian. (I'd strongly recommend that mplayer take a strong look at
the DLL licenses if mplayer is distributing them.)

Don Armstrong
1: If they ever were in the past...
--
Debian's not really about the users or the software at all. It's a
large flame-generating engine that the cabal uses to heat their coffee

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu