Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:24:06PM +0200, Gabucino wrote:
> Yes, someone here told you'd (all) be looking into xine's libavcodec issues.
> More than a half year has passed, and nothing happened. So I continue to
> disregard this matter.

The only mention of libavcodec being in main that I've seen is Sam's
post, and that was to debian-devel, which is the wrong place.  Now that
it's been raised on debian-legal, it can be discussed.

> > Xine's copy of libavcodec appears to include MPEG-2 video and MPEG-1 Layer 3
> > audio encoding.  That may be moot if the code is never actually used, but
> > encoders are explicitly enabled by -DCONFIG_ENCODERS, so this may not be
> > the case.  (It's probably a good idea to disable those anyway, though.)
> Huh? Why does xine use -DCONFIG_ENCODERS ? It can't even encode.

Don't ask me, ask the maintainers of Xine.

> > Oops.  Looks like Xine has ASF support elsewhere, which is a problem.
> So? Is it going to be removed? If no, I continue to fail to see this as a
> showstopper.

Wow.  You're certainly impatient.  Here's a clue: we've just begun discussing
this.  Legal issues are not typically resolved in a day.

> > don't have an X machine to test whether this is really enabled in the package
> > or disabled in some place I'm not noticing; I'd appreciate it if someone
> > would check this.
> There is an aaxine version of xine.

Okay, I can confirm that Debian's Xine has ASF installed.

> > and VirtualDub had ASF issues.
> We won't agree to remove ASF support. It would be a most serious crippling.

Which features will be disabled to permit safe distribution in Debian is
ultimately not your decision.

This attitude ("forget the legal issues, we need this feature!") is precisely
why Debian is so hesitant to go near mplayer.

--
Glenn Maynard