Re: Removal of Email Address

(Yeah, I know, late response....)

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 08:06, Richard Braakman wrote:

> So, what's the difference?  What did you do with the erols.com address
> that you didn't do with the suespammers address?

Not sure, really. But as I said, most of it seems to be single opt-in
crap.

> > I realize that spammers could be avoiding the suespammers address (it'd
> > make good business sense, after all), but most of my spam seems come
> > from people plopping my address into web pages that don't bothing doing
> > double confirms, or from APNIC space.
>
> Why would people use your address that way?

I don't know. Maybe it's a typo (maybe there is a derobert1@erols.com,
for example). Maybe someone doesn't like me (don't know of anyone).

I know one time, my much younger brother (must of been nine or younger
at the time...) did it.

> My theory is that the address harvesters are trying to be smart and are
> deleting the "spam" substring from your address.  Some poor bastard at
> suemers.org is getting all your spam :)

Could be. But that would imply that spammers already de-obfuscate
addresses, and thus obfuscating @lists.debian.org would just be an
annoyance to legitimate users.

Hmmm... suemers.org is not registered. Tempting, very tempting, to
register it and find out.