Re: Desktop WiFi

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 11:09 -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> I have some ISA/PCMCIA adapters that I have not made to work with
> PCMCIA wifi cards.  Can someone tell me what modules I need to load?
> Or what other magical incantations need to be invoked?  I have
> installed all the normal laptop stuff.  Right now, I'm trying this with
> a Libranet 2.8 and a 2.4.21 kernel, but I have also tried Ubuntu and
> 2.6.x kernel.

Hi Willie,

Are you sure they will really work?  Are the wifi cards "PCMCIA" or
"Cardbus"?  I don't think Cardbus can actually translate to ISA?  Or is
your "ISA/PCMCIA" adaptor really a "PCI/Cardbus" one and this really
should work?

Does dmesg show anything after a "PCMCIA" card is inserted?  Is hotplug
running?  Does "lspci" show your PCMCIA (cardbus?) bridge?  Do you have
the "pcmcia-cs" package installed?

If you can answer these questions it will give us all a good start on
finding some more questions to ask you... :-)

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
Would that my hand were as swift as my tongue.
                -- Alfieri