Re: Desktop WiFi

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 12:05:52PM +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 11:09 -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> > I have some ISA/PCMCIA adapters that I have not made to work with
> > PCMCIA wifi cards.  Can someone tell me what modules I need to load?
> > Or what other magical incantations need to be invoked?  I have
> > installed all the normal laptop stuff.  Right now, I'm trying this with
> > a Libranet 2.8 and a 2.4.21 kernel, but I have also tried Ubuntu and
> > 2.6.x kernel.
>
> Hi Willie,
>
> Are you sure they will really work?  Are the wifi cards "PCMCIA" or
> "Cardbus"?  I don't think Cardbus can actually translate to ISA?  Or is
> your "ISA/PCMCIA" adaptor really a "PCI/Cardbus" one and this really
> should work?
>
> Does dmesg show anything after a "PCMCIA" card is inserted?  Is hotplug
> running?  Does "lspci" show your PCMCIA (cardbus?) bridge?  Do you have
> the "pcmcia-cs" package installed?

In pursuing this problem, I find myself stuck in apt-get hell:
---
root@sff-ln281:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
Suggested packages:
  lilo kernel-doc-2.6.8 kernel-source-2.6.8
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 998 not
upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/15.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 45.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 2:
 field name `\uffff' must be followed by colon
---
Prior to the above I did a fresh successful "apt-get update".  I can't
do anything with apt-get.  My first guess is that somehow
/var/lib/dpkg/available got corrupted.  Can someone confirm that?  And
make suggestions on recovering?

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!