Re: memory stick

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:16:43PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> s. keeling wrote:
>
> > Colin Cotter <colinjcotter@gmail.com>:

> > Beware, however, others have reported that once reformatted, the stick
> > became a paperweight.
>
> Having done that, I can assure you it's not (quite) true (anyway, they're
> way too light to be good paperweights).  If you don't format it correctly,
> _Windows_ will treat it as a paperweight.  HP provides a handy reformatting
> tool on their website (google for HPUSBFW.exe) that seems to work to fix up
> memory sticks, if you run into that problem.  Been there, done that. :-)

For what it's worth, I have run ``mkfs -t vfat'' on a memory stick once,
after it had accumulated some weird and (as far as I recall) undeletable
files (due to a sequence of events involving unplugging without dismounting,
Windows or Macintosh system freezes, and other things). The stick has
been working normally ever since; I use it almost every day.

However, given the multitude of USB flash drive like devices, I would
not be surprised if this didn't work on other models.

Certainly, for things like USB MP3 sticks, cameras etc. I would not
recommend the mkfs approach, as reformatting them just like that may
e.g. erase configuration information.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |