Re: memory stick

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 12:10:03PM +0200, Colin Cotter wrote:
> Dear list,
>
>      How do I use a memory stick with Debian? I connected my stick and
> the following appeared in "dmesg". Is it working? How do I access it?
>
> cheers
>
> --cjc
>
> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using address 4
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor:           Model: USB Flash Memory  Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCSI device sda: 492544 512-byte hdwr sectors (252 MB)
> sda: assuming Write Enabled
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>  /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: [CUMANA/ADFS] p1<5>Attached scsi
> removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> USB Mass Storage device found at 4
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 508378384

These errors don't look right, but otherwise, it seems to me that all
is fine.

You'll have to find out what causes those error messages. I suggest
connecting the stick while the laptop is in console mode; this way,
that bunch of multimedia demons that come with desktop environments
(gnome, kde) are out of the way. Then, as root, try to mount it, e.g.
with

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

If the stick mounts ok (i.e. the files on it become visible in the
/mnt directory), the stick and the OS basics are fine, and the error
messages are probably triggered by one of those demons. (Since I use
fvwm2, I don't know how to fix these, I'm afraid.)

If the error messages persist, there may be a problem with the stick.
If it has been used with various other operating systems, there is a
chance that it's just the file system that is messed up. In that case,
you could try ``mkfs -t vfat'' on the device /dev/sda1, but, of course,
that will erase all files on the stick, along with the problems, in case
of success.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |