Re: i810 driver and X

On 13 Jul 2005, Matej Cepl wrote:
> <odesláno & mailováno>
>
> Martin Theiss wrote:
>> I advice you not to take my packages anymore. There are newer ones, which
>> will also get into unstable. According to the latest Debian newsletter
>> have a look at http://people.debian.org/~nobse/xorg-x11/
>
> I have a problem with these p.d.o packages (see attached output from dpkg
> --configure -a). It seems to me that whole problem (I cannot upgrade even
> x-window-system-core) is in the library libglul-xorg, which cannot be
> installed, because it conflicts with xlibmesa-glu 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14 from
> http://neo.wh-stuttgart.de/debian/ packages, which are required by kcontrol
> and many other KDE packages, which I would love to have installed (like
> kscreensaver, python2.3-qt3, grass, etc.). Does anybody know about the
> solution for this problem, please?

The x.org packages landed in Debian proper today, so you don't need to
use the p.d.o link any longer.

The libglu issue is still there, though.  The issue is the GCC 4 C++ ABI
transition.  C++ packages (like KDE and libGLU) compiled with GCC 3.4
and 4.0 cannot exist in the same process, because the ABI changed.

Debian/unstable, where x.org is available, uses the new ABI, not the
old, so anything depending on the old GLU (3.4 ABI) cannot work with the
new GLU (4.0 ABI) yet.

The solution is to wait until the applications (KDE, for example) are
all finished with the ABI transition, at which point everything can
update nicely.

As a side note, though, my system is running OK with the 3.4 ABI GLU
library, but the Debian/unstable x.org packages.

Maybe you should hold back the GLU package until the update is done, but
pull in the x.org server and other libraries?

     Daniel

--
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.