grub install problem on usb floppy

My laptop has a usb floppy connected to it. I am unable to make a
grub floppy because I grub wont recogognize the device. I am using
v.0.95.
If I "grub> find /boot/grub/stage1" all are found but the floppy.
when I "root@2[~]# grub"
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
--------only hd0 devices are recognized.
linux sees the device as /dev/sda (scsi storage)
When I "root@2[~]# grub-install /dev/sda or (hd1)"
/dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

The bios will boot a bootable floppy other than grub on powerup so
the bios sees something there. Why cant I write to it with grub??
mike