Re: RAM upgrade?

Dne út 5. července 2005 18:55 Ritesh Raj Sarraf napsal(a):
> Marco Calviani wrote:
> > Ok, 256 MB inside + 512 MB (or 1 GB) in the "external" slot. About the
> > 266 or 333 MHz type it depends on your machine. I'll need the 333 MHz
> > type, but i own a Travelmate 8005 so i don't know if it fits with yours.
> > You can try with dmidecode package, it will tell you under the Memory
> > device section.
>
> Keep in mind that the speed of RAM for your laptop will be limited by your
> machines FSB speed. So if your motherboard's FSB supports 100-Mhz i.e.
> PC1600 i.e. 200 Mhz, then even if you put a module of 333 Mhz it would be
> functioning at the speed of 200 Mhz only.

That is not true, because it depends on memory controller (placed in chipset
or in case AMD64 CPUs on CPU itself). All desktop chipset and AMD CPU's I am
aware of can alter FSB frequency (usualy by x/4 or x/3), so faster or slower
memory can run at it's native speed. And most notebook chipset also, for
example my old Toshiba Satellite 1410-905 features 2.2GHz Celeron with 200MHz
FSB and 266MHz DDR RAM.

Mixi