Re: Sony Vaio S1702

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:27:02 -0600
robsims@robsims.com (Rob Sims) wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 10:50:52AM -0400, Jansen Carlo Sena wrote:
> > I am needing to change my laptop. I'm thinking to buy a Sony Vaio
> > S-1702. Is there anyone have installed Debian in this notebook?! Does
> > everything work very well?!
>
> Avoid Sony.  The hardware itself is nice, but support is non-existent.
> I've had a mini-tower and a notebook.  The integrated video on the
> mini-tower died, the laptop had a pointer drift problem and a data
> corruption (crashing) problem.  Never got the tower fixed.  The laptop's
> first trip to the shop fixed the pointer.  The second trip fixed the
> crashing problem, but broke the pointer again.
>
> Also, the apps for the specialized hardware refused to admit they were
> on a Sony computer after a Windows upgrade.  Support wouldn't help.  The
> machines are both running sarge now, so the software issue is moot, but
> it's a good indicator of Sony service.  Other brands have poor service
> at best; only Sony computers have made my "don't buy" list.

I second that. I have a sony laptop. Cost 250$ to fix a problem that was under
the warenty (they replaced the parts at no charge, the cost is for the work).
BTW, the laptop had several other faults when it came back. As for support,
whatever there is, its worthless. All they know is to send you some template
emails and tell you to press the power button for 60 seconds and if that
doesn't solve the problem to send it in for repair. Same problem with a camera
with Sony France. Apparently its a world wide problem.

If you want something reliable, go with IBM. Some of them have some problems so
check the web, but most work rather well and support is much better (as a
start, there is support ...)