Speedstep problem: empty /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0

Hello,

I am running a custom 2.6.8 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 5000e, Pentium
III (Coppermine) processor. My problem is that the
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 directory is empty, which causes problems
when I try to run cpufreqd. I think this is just becase the speedstep
driver isn't loaded, but when I try to modprobe any of the speedstep
drivers in the modules directory it complains:

% sudo modprobe speedstep-centrino
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.20050630/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko):
No such device

Thanks for any help,
Richard