Re: Sony Vaio S1702

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 10:50:52AM -0400, Jansen Carlo Sena wrote:
> I am needing to change my laptop. I'm thinking to buy a Sony Vaio
> S-1702. Is there anyone have installed Debian in this notebook?! Does
> everything work very well?!

Avoid Sony.  The hardware itself is nice, but support is non-existent.
I've had a mini-tower and a notebook.  The integrated video on the
mini-tower died, the laptop had a pointer drift problem and a data
corruption (crashing) problem.  Never got the tower fixed.  The laptop's
first trip to the shop fixed the pointer.  The second trip fixed the
crashing problem, but broke the pointer again.

Also, the apps for the specialized hardware refused to admit they were
on a Sony computer after a Windows upgrade.  Support wouldn't help.  The
machines are both running sarge now, so the software issue is moot, but
it's a good indicator of Sony service.  Other brands have poor service
at best; only Sony computers have made my "don't buy" list.
--
Rob