Re: Random keystrokes lost

also sprach Tim Connors <tconnors@astro.swin.edu.au> [2002.11.27.0222 +0100]:
> Damn. I don't think I will ever touch Dell laptops ever again. My own
> I4000 has had problems, such as 2 wonky HD's, but they just seem so damn
> unreliable, and have a lot of bios bugs.

I won't either. Not only have they severly dropped in quality over the
last three years, Dell is also a bunch of assholes doing support, they
don't stick to their warranty claims, and, last but not least, Michael
Dell and Bill Gates have Sex with each other.

> Also - your hdd statement: try unmasking interrupts using hdparm. This
> helps modem traffic a lot, and might also help the KB - if there is a lot
> of hdd activity (and laptop disks are very slow), then the KB just never
> gets a chance to signal to the CPU that "HEY! LOOK HERE. I HAVE A
> KEYSTROKE FOR YOU. FEED ME!". :)

 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)

unfortunately, this is already set..

> As for the temperature thing, can you cat /proc/apm and the i8k file under
> /proc (I can't remember what is is called - perhaps you might have to do a
> strace on i8kutils when it reads the temperature from the kernel, if it is
> not obviously under /proc) when there is a problem, and then again when
> there is not a problem?

I don't have the problem right now, but it's something like this:

No problem: 1.0 A12 CZ2H90J 56 0 0 0 0 -1 0
   Problem: 1.0 A12 CZ2H90J 85 2 2 9600 6600 -1 0

> Is this flavour laptop aimed more at APM or ACPI for power
> management? The newer ones tend to work better on ACPI than APM.

Aha, I have avoided ACPI so far, but I guess I will jump into it.

`. `'`

NOTE: The public PGP keyservers are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc